5.10.10

long exposure - exp one

Saul Leiter - Phonecall 1957

I wanted to experiment with long exposure and see what images I would collect. This morning I was researching the famous photographer Saul Leiter who exhibited a small collection of his work at Faggionato Fine Art Gallery in London.

I really liked this print. The image was taken in New York and concentrates on the man who is making the phonecall. I was interested to experiment my own diverse set of images. I enjoy looking at layered photographs because it captures so many moments in one photograph. I came across an article called "Long exposure + Facebook albums = Gorgeously layered photos" The article was by a photographer called Philip Maisel and he basically took photographs whilst flicking through facebook albums setting his camera to a long exposure creating all sorts of quirky images. Here are a few of his images below:


So I decided to experiment by flicking through my own facebook album and picture albums on my computer. Some images I am pleased with others not so much however I think the main problem I had was the disadvantage of the white background on my PC. Because I was using the bog standard Windows picture viewer, the pictures are shown on a white background and I found that the camera was too sensitive to the light so I adjusted the ISO to 100 and eventually the images became clearer. I allowed 15 seconds for the exposure and I used my flickr site in the end, capturing the photographs using the slideshow on a black background.

The image below I find really interesting, there is an overlap of two photographs, the young boy in the photo was taken in The Caspian Sea and the lighter object is my father which was also taken in Baku. The boys body language suggests he is listening because of the position of his hand behind his ear. His face is looking outwards suggesting what he can hear is in front of him. I feel that my father is the object who the boy can hear. My father can be portrayed to be the ghost or the spirit of somebody the boy once knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment